Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Crafting using bit from the Recycling Bin

I asked this question in a Facebook Group, but thought I would try to start a conversation here. When you craft, do you ever pull anything out of the recycling bin to use? Let me clarify, out of the paper/cardboard bin.

If you regularly visit here, you probably saw three cards I created for World Cardmaking Day (actually I made a weekend of it) where I used images from solicitations for donations; images that were just too cute to end up in the bin. Here are two more cards I created a few weeks ago from other solicitations.

card created from recycled envelope
owl card with vine background

All of the papers are from my stash. I used dies to cut the oval and scalloped oval (both from Spellbinders). I used  Distress Oxide™ Ink and a stencil from CTMH Card Front Stencil Pack 2 (Z4342) to create the vine background. I think I used Peeled Paint (Z3831) and tried to apply it lighter on the left and darker on the right. I applied the ink with the Mini Ink Blending Tool (Z3886) and Mini Ink Blending Foam (Z3878).

Here is another card created from the same mailing:

card created from recycled envelope
owl card with hello background

Again, all of the papers are from my stash. I cut the rectangles on my paper trimmer. I used Distress Oxide™ Inks and a stencil from CTMH Card Front Stencil Pack 1 (Z4341) to create the word  background. I think I used Peeled Paint (Z3831), Mustard Seed (Z3830) and Mowed Lawn (Z3832). The stamped image is from CTMH For All Occasions (D2052). I think I used Cinnamon ink (Z6522).

I have to admit it is rare that I see an image destined for recycling that I want to create a card with, but I often use something from the paper recycling bin when I am creating. I thought I would share some of the other ways that I use items from the paper recycling bin.

  • I use the back of envelopes or paper to sketch out my ideas when I am not using a pattern.
  • I also use the back of envelopes to create a list of the products used when creating.
  • I use paper when I need a simple mask when stamping, stenciling or splattering.
  • I use open newspapers to catch the mess when splattering.
  • When preparing to cut directional paper, especially when I only have no backup sheets, and I am concerned about cutting it wrong, I will draw on or cut a piece of newspaper to verify my cutting plan.
  • I use the cello window of an envelope to pool wet glue to tap die cuts in; this is less messy way of adding wet glue to the back of a die cut.

If you have suggestions for other ways to reuse paper recycling before the recycling truck picks it up, please share by submitting a comment.

If you have not used your paper recycling while crafting, I hope I have given you some ideas. Thanks for visiting today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading them.