Friday, April 1, 2022

CTMH Message in a Bottle SOTM Blog Hop - April 2022

Welcome to the April 2022 SOTM Blog Hop featuring the stamp set Message in a Bottle. There are a little over ten CTMH Makers sharing projects created with the CTMH Stamp Of The Month Message in a Bottle. Click the link, often found near the bottom of a post, to visit the next blog and complete the entire hop.

Message in a Bottle Blog Hop (April 2022 SOTM)
Message in a Bottle Blog Hop (April 2022 SOTM)

You should have arrived here from ***ScrappinKaty***. If you encounter any problems along the way, Melinda Everitt keeps a list of the blog hop participants at her blog If You Bling It.

Message in a Bottle Stamp Set
Message in a Bottle Stamp Set

For the Message in a Bottle Stamp Set blog hop I created this card.

card created for Message in a Bottle Blog Hop
card created for Message in a Bottle Blog Hop

I think many people do not think about masking and layering stamped images when the object being stamped is traditionally clear, but I wanted to try it. I wanted to create a scene of a collection of antique decorative bottles. Fortunately I am happy with the results. I hope you like it too.

In hindsight I wish I photographed the project while in progress; hopefully I can describe my process well.

I started by stamping the bottles, using masks created with sticky notes (I described the process I use for masking on the CTMH Strong Roots SOTM Blog Hop - July 2021). I also stamped the items inside the bottles.

I have observed old glass objects in a variety of colors so I searched for "what colors do bottles come in". The first website suggested, from the Society for Historical Archaeology, had a photo of old glassware (you will find the photo here) so I selected Watercolor Pencils inspired by colors in the photo. I used Watercolor Pencils because I am more comfortable layering colors from pencils than I am paints or alcohol ink markers. I also like Watercolor Pencils because you can achieve a lot of shades from one pencil depending on the pressure used.

Since glass is mostly transparent, or at least translucent, I colored a bit of the adjacent bottle color behind the more forward bottle since in real life you would be able to see a bit of the bottle through the forward bottle. Then I colored over that color with the color I selected for the forward bottle. To create some definition for the scroll in the green bottle, I colored the scroll with white pencil before coloring with green. I did the same thing with the star shaped lights, colored them with yellow before adding pink on top.

I finished the edge of the card by cutting Ballerina cardstock using the Stitched Rectangle Frames and adding Gold Glitter Gems.

Before you visit ***Stefani***, the supplies I used to create my project are listed below.

All supplies are from Close To My Heart except where noted:

If you are not working with a CTMH Maker, you may purchase the supplies I used at my eCommerce website.

I hope you like the card I created with Message in a Bottle—April Stamp of the Month. If you have a few moments, please let me know what you think of my card. Thank you for hopping with us!

So you do not have to scroll up for the link, the next blog on our hop is ***Stefani***.

5 comments:

  1. What a pretty card! Your research and attention to detail really paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! love the coloring and masking to show the collection of bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! You absolutely achieved your goal of an antique bottles scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a FUN way to use all the bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you used all the bottles and in such different looks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading them.