Saturday, June 9, 2012

CC Challenge #17 - 3D

The details for CropChocolate Challenge #17 - 3D read "(thanks Michele M. and Cricutica for this week's challenge!!) Create a project containing a 3D element. Use a mix of masculine and feminine product (paper, embellies, etc)." [Find details for current CropChocolate challenge here.]

The rules read "Post a picture of your project. 50% of the product used must be from CropChocolate.com. Please include items used in the description of your entry. Contest ends on June 13th, 2012 at 08:00:00am Mountain. Please submit your entry before then. $10 CropCredit in a random drawing. $25 CropCredit for monthly random winner."

When I read this challenge, I immediately thought snowman. I have no idea why. My next thought was the new [I am not sure what it is called or who manufacturers it] product I saw on an display in the Jo-Ann Fabrics & Crafts in Rochester (the 3333 W Henrietta Road location is currently undergoing some remodeling and I am excited to visit again when it is complete). The product reminds me of a holiday decoration we had when I was a child. It was a bell that stored flat and when you wanted to display it you swung the cardboard open almost 360 degrees and secured them with clips. I guess you might describe it as waffle paper.

Anyway, I did not have any paper that expanded like that so I tried to make something that looked like it. I also decided it is too soon for snowmen, so I decided to go floral. I don't have anything pinned exactly like what I did, but I remember something that was for sale, I think out of Australia or New Zealand, that used hearts stitched down the middle that is sort of reminds me of this.

cNYscrapper_CCchallenge17_20120613_388397404408

I started by cutting eight circles from Water Color Paper by Making Memories (CC item 000231) with my QuicKutz Squeeze and the circle die from the Essentials Set that was sold on QVC (a total of 24 circles; eight of three different colors). Then I folded the circles so the printed side was facing in (I tried it both ways and was most happy with the results when the printed side faced in). I used a bone folder to get a nice crisp fold. I ran a bead of CTMH Liquid Glass along the folded edge and stacked the circles. I let it dry for a minute or two. Then I ran a bead of CTMH Liquid Glass along the "spine". Then I applied CTMH Bonding Memories glue to a scrap of paper and applied it to the back to give more support when the circles are opened. Let dry for a few minutes.

cNYscrapper_CCchallenge17_20120613_410411415417

After your adhesive is dry and you stand your creation right side up it is a little deformed. Gently open the pages like a book. I would have stopped when I reached the result in the upper right photo but my mother suggested snipping the paper edges to give it a more floral look. I snipped each layer except the base on either side using Precision Scissors by Making Memories (CC item 001769).

It was only at this point that I tried to find a piece of paper or cardstock to be a background for my flowers, but the cardstock that I liked the most had a decorative border (Fancy Pants Baby Mine item #1244 Bracket Die Cut - CC cardstock grab bag). I decided to use it anyway and somehow ink the area on my card that would not be covered by paper. I used a stencil brush and CTMH Exclusive Inks - Olive to cover the area missed by the cardstock.

cNYscrapper_CCchallenge17_20120613_421423

Then I needed leaves and stems for my "flowers" and I did not have any ribbon that matched my cardstock. I used a QuicKutz Squeeze and a leaf die to cut three leaves from one of the sheets that came in the 12x12 Cardstock Assortment 4.0 by Bazzill (CC item 001812). I thought about using some seam binding and trying to ink it, but I did not want to wait for it to dry. Then I thought I would try to make my paper pliable enough to use it like ribbon. I cut thin strips from the same sheet used for the leaves then wrapped and re-wrapped it around a pencil. Then I used the dull flat edge (in my case the covered end of my craft knife - perhaps not the best choice) and "scraped" the paper (sort of like using the blade of scissors on curling ribbon). I then re-wrapped it as tight as I could - I quilling tool would have been helpful for this. On the slightly wider strip of paper I pinched the edges toward the middle. I am happy with how the stems turned out. I used CTMH Bonding Memories Glue to attach the leaves, stems and flowers to my card.


cNYscrapper_CCchallenge17_20120613_427442

I used CTMH Exclusive Inks - Black and CTMH My Acrylix® Delight stamp set to create the sentiment. Here is how the entire card came together.

cNYscrapper_CCchallenge17_20120613_DSC00438

cNYscrapper_CCchallenge17_20120613_DSC00433

I hope you like my card and the technique I used to create the flowers. I would love to know what you think of it. Thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

  1. Brenda, this is SO clever! That paper you are describing is called honeycomb paper. Yours is just as good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! Your feedback means a lot to me. Have a great day!