Sunday, November 5, 2023

Color Suggestions for Sweet Fruit Stamp Set

Today I do not have a completed project to share, but rather some color suggestions for Sweet Fruit. I  promised to share the color ideas when I posed a Thank You card in late October.

We like to try different fruits and vegetables in our house. Usually I do not remember the names of the different varieties, but if the color or name is unique, we will typically try a new-to-us fruit or vegetable. When I was trying to decide what colors to use with this stamp set, I die cut a few of the shapes several times and used some of the suggested colors from the CTMH one sheet wonder video, but I also thought about some of the colors I've seen on my plate. Then pulled out some ink pads and tried a few combinations.

Before I go further, I should explain what first and second generation stamping is for those who do not know.

First generation stamping is the resulting image when you ink the stamp and press the stamp to cardstock. Second generation stamping occurs when you stamp the ink off, then stamp, without reinking, where you desire the image to be.

I think all of the cherry color combinations I tried look like fruit I have seen in a farm market or in a catalog that sells cherry trees for planting your own orchard.

color schemes tested with cherry stamp
color schemes tested with cherry stamp
The colors I used for the cherries are:

cherry base cherry shade stem base stem shade leaf base leaf shade
sample 1 second generation Candy Apple first generation Candy Apple second generation Acorn first generation Acorn second generation Limeade first generation Limeade
sample 2 first generation Candy Apple first generation Scarlet second generation Acorn first generation Acorn first generation Limeade first generation Jade
sample 3 first generation Lemonade first generation Sundance second generation Acorn first generation Acorn first generation Limeade first generation Jade
sample 4 first generation Lemonade first generation Scarlet second generation Acorn first generation Acorn first generation Limeade first generation Jade
sample not pictured first generation Lemonade first generation Candy Apple second generation Acorn first generation Acorn second generation Jade first generation Jade

I do not have a photo of the Lemonade/Candy Apple version because I dropped it between stamping and photographing and you know how paper likes to flutter and disappear into thin air. I am bummed about it because it was one of my favorite combinations.

Since lemons and limes are similar in size and shape, I decided to try to create both options.

color schemes tested with lemon stamp
color schemes tested with lemon stamp
I like all of the lemons and limes. What color I use in the future will be influenced by the colors in the paper I pair with the stamped die cut.

lemon base lemon shade
sample 1 second generation Lemonade first generation Lemonade
sample 2 first generation Lemonade first generation Sundance
sample 3 second generation Limeade first generation Limeade
sample 4 first generation Limeade first generation Jade

On this citrus half, depending on what the die cut is paired with, it is hard to determine if what we are seeing is a lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit so I decided to experiment a bit.

color schemes tested with lemon half stamp
color schemes tested with lemon half stamp
I created, from left to right, a lemon, orange and pink grapefruit.

lemon half base lemon half shade
sample 1 second generation Lemonade first generation Lemonade
sample 2 first generation Lemonade first generation Sundance
sample 3 first generation Lemonade first generation Flamingo

For sample 2, which I tried to make look like an orange, and sample 3, which I attempted to make look like a pink grapefruit, the next time I think I would try second generation Lemonade so the Sundance and Flamingo show the details better. Other than that minor change, I really am happy with how the lemon, orange and pink grapefruit turned out.

I created several samples with the apples. There are so many different varieties of apples that I could have tried several more color combinations.

color schemes tested with apple stamp
color schemes tested with apple stamp
The Flamingo on sample 4 really makes the Limeade appear to have yellow tint. It is not as strong in person. I think the next time I may try second generation Limeade with Flamingo. On sample 6, in person, the Mulberry reads a little blue, but I think it looks great in the photo. Next time I will try second generation Mulberry. I feel some of the detail is lost in sample 7, especially in the photo, so I will use second generation Papaya the next time I stamp with the Papaya/Desert Rose combination.

apple base (solid) apple shade (detail) stem base stem shade
sample 1 second generation Candy Apple first generation Candy Apple second generation Acorn first generation Acorn
sample 2 first generation Candy Apple first generation Scarlet second generation Acorn first generation Acorn
sample 3 first generation Limeade first generation Jade second generation Acorn first generation Acorn
sample 4 first generation Limeade first generation Flamingo second generation Acorn first generation Acorn
sample 5 first generation Flamingo first generation Papaya second generation Acorn first generation Acorn
sample 6 first generation Mulberry first generation Papaya second generation Acorn first generation Acorn
sample 7 first generation Papaya first generation Desert Rose second generation Acorn first generation Acorn

I am sure that there are several other color combinations that would work, including some favorite retired colors and colors have have not been introduced yet. Don't be shy about trying different colors.

I wrote the colors I used on the back of these samples so I do not have to test my memory each time I use Sweet Fruit. I am keeping samples in the envelope with the stamp set and Thin Cuts so they will be easy to find and I will be able to quickly start creating.

Supplies used:
Code to above product name appearance:
  • text with link = this is a current product available on my eCommerce site at the time this post was published
  • highlighted text with link = this is a product that was available on my eCommerce site when I created the paper craft(s) pictured above and the post was published; since it is on the retiring list and no longer appears in the current catalogs, or it is/was part of a promotion, it is available only while supplies last
  • plain text = retired product no longer on my eCommerce site; if you really like a product, look for it at yard sales, on Facebook groups or other places people resale items
I hope this gives you inspiration for trying the base and shade stamps and different colors your stamping. Have a great week ahead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading them.