Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tips and Tricks - Adding a Favicon

A fellow paper crafter and friend asked me today about favicons. I have to admit I did not know the technical term for them, though I've seen them for years.

A search lead me to several sites where you can make your own or find a previously created favicon. I used favicon.cc to make mine. It is not the most beautiful, but it is mine. I downloaded the favicon to my computer.

I found some clear, concise directions to add the favicon to my blog at FreeFavicon. I had to refresh my browser a few times before I saw the favicon change.

I hope this short post helps anyone that wants to try creating and uploading their own favicon.

2 comments:

  1. OK, I have to ask...where's the favicon on this blog?

    I'm off to check out FreeFavicon. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The favicon is just to the left of the URL. I had trouble getting it to display on a computer that I had used to visit my blog before. Clearing the cache resolved the problem. So frequent visitors to your blog may not see your newly-saved favicon immediately.

    If you are not seeing your newly-saved favicon, you should clear your cache to see if that resolves the problem. There are three fairly quick ways to check that the code is there included for your favicon to be part of your blog.

    From your Blogger blog open Design > Layout and look for it in the widget. You should see it visually there (note even after you can see your favicon when on your blog, when you are editing your blog design or writing a new post, you will see Blogger's favicon - it is only when you publish you post and view your blog that it will change back to your favicon).

    In Firefox, go to your blog. Click on the favicon in the address bar then click More Information. Switch to the Media tab. In the address area look for the name of your favicon (it will be proceeded by your blog address). If you click on that address you should see it in the Media Preview area of that window.

    In Internet Explorer, go to your blog. Right-click anywhere on the background in the window and choose View Source. Use Edit > Find or Ctrl + F to search for the name of your favicon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading them.