Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Dress Up Your Gifts of Handmade DVDs

My mother recently had the chance to go on vacation with a friends at their timeshare. She wanted to give them a memento to thank them - something that would also help them remember the sights they saw (their camera also stopped working). We gathered up all of the photos, found some soothing music to play in the background and created a DVD of their adventure.

Since a silver disc is not much of a gift we needed to do something to make the presentation match the content on the DVD - in our mind something beautiful. I had rescued some CD/DVD sleeves from the trash where I work - they are punched on the spine for keeping in a binder and have cut-outs (also on the spine) for use in a different type of binder. In addition to the spot for the disc they have a place on the back for literature (typically installation instructions or software license).

DVD_card_insert

Here is a photo of the CD/DVD sleeve to show what I mean by "where the literature typically goes".

DVD_card_case

We decided where the literature typically goes in the sleeve would be a great place to "dress it up". I cut a piece of Colonial White Cardstock (1388) to 4 5/8" x 4 5/8". I used the Corner Rounder (Z1912) to soften the look of the page. I used the following My Acrylix® stamp sets: Adventure USA (D1503), Cocktail Alphabet (E1015) and Trinity Alphabet (E1021). I used the following Exclusive Inks® Stamp Pads: Black (Z2105), Whisper (Z2172), Juniper (Z2165), Sky (Z2194), Outdoor Denim (Z2140) and Tulip (retired).

I used the Swipe Hype technique (from a video that I shared on my blog September 13, 2013) for the "Our Vacation" stamp and the initials I used to create the state abbreviation. I love the texture that swiping created. I hope you can see it in the photo below.

DVD_card_swipe_hype


I believe a card like this could be used in most CD/DVD binders, just cut your cardstock to the correct size to fit in the slot and slide the CD/DVD in right behind the card.

We have an auction at my family reunion to generate funds to cover the next reunion. One year I scanned the photos in the old family albums that are kept with the reunion materials. That year I had saved many tins that a popular dial-up Internet service mailed their software in and spray painted them. I no longer have any of those tins, so if I donate photo DVDs again, I will dig out my stamps that represent family and create some special cards to accompany the DVDs.

I hope this gives you ideas for little things you can do to make the presentation of a gift more special.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or would like to host a Gathering, in-home or on-line. If you are ready to place an order, click the Shop Now button.


I am also on Facebook. You will find me at Brenda's Paper Crafts. I would love it if you Liked my page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading them.