Saturday, June 15, 2024

Today's Tip - Creating A2 Card Bases

As I mentioned the other day, I've been thinking more and more about creating my own card bases. One reason for creating my own card bases is to have the color on the entire front of my cards without adding another layer. Adding an additional colored cardstock layer to the card front adds some weight which may make it difficult to stand the card up and/or require more postage. It adds thickness which, added with the other embellishments, may make it hard to fit the card in the envelope and/or require more postage. Adding another layer also uses more paper. Finally, let's be honest, it can be difficult to line up just right so no white shows around the edges.

When I began my cardmaking journey years ago, I wish I had a quick reference for all of my questions. I write this post with new, and returning-to-paper, crafters in mind and for those who like to measure twice, double-check the measurements one more time, and cut once.

My personal preference for A2 (4¼" × 5½") cards is a side fold card which I can use as a 5½" high by 4¼" wide card (portrait) or as a 4¼" high by 5½" wide card (landscape). You will find many examples of this card size/style on my blog.

This diagram (partially mocked up in Cricut Design Space) shows how I go about cutting 8½" × 11" cardstock to create an A2 side fold card base.

A2 side fold cutting & scoring diagram
A2 side fold cutting & scoring diagram
I think the A2 side fold portrait card is the most popular hand crafted card size. This is how Close To My Heart White Cards & Envelopes Value Pack (X254) were cut and scored. I have not purchased the Stampin' Up! Basic White Note Cards & Envelopes (159232) yet, but from the photo online, I believe this is how the cards are cut and scored as well. Cards cut and scored like this are easy to create and display, even with embellishments, because having the fold on the side prevents the card from opening in its entirety–the fold acts as a "anchor". When this card is displayed with the score at the top (landscape), it can "sag" a bit, but on a future post I will show you what you can do to prevent that.

I have read blog posts by and watched videos from people who prefer a top fold A2 card (portrait). For myself, I think this card style is nice when you know you will decorate your card so it is 5½" high, but what do you do when you found the perfect large sentiment, but it is too wide for a 4¼" wide card? This diagram (partially mocked up in Cricut Design Space) shows how I go about cutting 8½" × 11" cardstock to create an A2 top fold card base.
A2 top fold cutting & scoring diagram
A2 top fold cutting & scoring diagram
It is not common, but I have seen videos where a card has the fold on the left and the card is 4¼" high and 5½" wide (landscape), but personally I do not prefer to create cards in this format. The nicest thing about creating cards this way is they are still a standard A2 size and finding envelopes to fit is relatively easy.

In future posts I will share how I cut Slimline cards, 4" × 6" cards and I will talk about using 12" × 12" cardstock to cut A2 (4¼" × 5½") cards.

I hope everyone, from new card makers to seasoned card makers found something helpful on today's post. If there are any topics you would like me to cover, please reach out via the contact form to the right and I will add it to my list of topics.

Please find a way to beat the heat that is heading our way. Take it easy and drink enough water. Putting the AC units in is at the top of my to do list for Sunday. Despite the heat, have a great week ahead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading them.