Saturday, June 8, 2024

Today's Tip - Mailing Your Cards

I originally was going to write one post about cards, but it become so long that it needed to be split into three posts. There are three things that lead me to start writing about cards. Did you know that there are minimum and maximum sizes for cards and letters to go through the United States Postal Service or there is an extra charge for mailing? Also, if you enjoyed the cardmaking supplies from Close To My Heart, I want to be sure that you are aware there can be some subtle differences between CTMH and Stampin' Up! cards/envelopes. Finally, I have been mulling different ways to create my card bases. I will share my thoughts and the pros and cons (as I see them) with you so you can determine what is best for you in your cardmaking journey. Some of the information I share might be "old news" to some readers, but there are probably some new card makers who would like to learn.

Mailing Your Cards via the USPS

Did you know that the USPS has physical standards for postcards and letters and if the item you are mailing may cost more if it does meet the requirements?  Greeting cards mailed in the United States have to meet the requirements of First-Class Mail or there is an extra charge to mail them. Please see First-Class Mail at the USPS website for features and pricing.

The two biggest concerns I hear when card makers talk about mailing their creations are: the USPS told me the card was too thick or the card weighed too much. There is a minimum and maximum length and height and a maximum thickness for cards sent via the USPS to addresses within the USA (including military destinations). The sizes for postcards, letters, large envelopes and packages are posted at Mailpiece Dimensions. The maximum weight is shared on the First-Class Mail page. I am not sharing the specific numbers here in case the USPS policies change causing any information I share here to be outdated.

To avoid the two biggest concerns most people have, I often used CTMH's Thin 3-D Foam Tape to create my cards and selected thinner embellishments or opted for using Stickles™ Glitter Glue, Liquid Pearls™, or similar rather than gems, buttons, etc. I recently purchased Mini Stampin' Dimensionals (144108) and Stampin' Dimensionals (104430) from Stampin' Up! and found them to be similar in thickness to the Thin 3-D Foam Tape. I cut a piece of heavy weight cardstock with a 1/4" slot in the middle to test the thickness of my envelopes and I use a kitchen scale to weigh my envelopes.

Please note that unusually shaped mail, including square and vertical envelopes, and envelopes with other features (string, buttons, etc.) must be hand-canceled and are charged a nonmachinable surcharge. See the "Additional Charges for Irregular Mailpieces & Envelopes" section on the First-Class Mail page. Finally, you will always find the current prices for domestic and international mail at Price List - First-Class Mail.

I do not have first hand experience with mailing in other countries, but my impression is mail requirements are not as strict in the UK, Canada and other countries. I often see square cards created by UK crafters. I could be wrong, so if you are abroad and want to mail something, you should check with the local Postal Service before popping something in the mail. Other than the USPS website, the person working at the Post Office will always have the best answers to your questions.

I hope I shared something new for the long-time card makers and gave new card makers some good references for keeping their cards within the First Class requirements.

Come back in a day or so for a comparison of the card options Close To My Heart has and what Stampin' Up! offers in their Annual Catalog.

Thank you for stopping by today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading them.